(813) 902-9100

Will My Spousal Support End If I Remarry?

Posted on : May 23, 2021
Tampa Alimony Modification

After getting a divorce, the type of spousal support you are getting and the conditions of any prenuptial or divorce agreement will determine if you will continue to receive alimony if you remarry. Here’s what you need to know about spousal maintenance after remarriage and how to receive help from a competent and compassionate family lawyer.

Bridge-the-Gap Spousal Support 


Bridge-the-gap spousal support is usually restricted to two years in length. This sort of alimony is intended to assist the receiver in meeting their financial obligations as they transition from being married to living independently. Bridge-the-gap alimony, like other types of support payments, terminates when one spouse dies or the recipient marries someone else. 


However, a court may not change the duration of this type of support. Therefore, it may be feasible to continue receiving bridge-the-gap alimony if you remarry within the two-year timeframe.  

Permanent Spousal Support 


A family court may issue permanent alimony to a divorced spouse who is unable to fulfill their own needs following the separation and cannot do so in the future. For example, in circumstances where one spouse is incapacitated and unable to work, this sort of alimony may be ordered. Like with bridge-the-gap alimony, if either party passes away or the support recipient remarries, the payments come to an end.


The termination-upon-death-or-remarriage provision is overridden if the couple signed a prenuptial agreement that stipulates remarriage will not terminate the obligation of financial support. This is particular to the couple’s own prenup, and it’s uncommon to come across. In fact, many engaged couples don’t want to be liable for spousal maintenance if they decide to, later on, get a divorce and their ex marries another person.

Rehabilitative Spousal Support 


Rehabilitative support may be ordered to offer economic assistance to an ex-spouse while they learn new skills or pursue higher education so they can begin to financially support themselves. For example, the lesser-earning spouse may be granted eighteen months of financial assistance if they need to go back to school. That said, if the spouse has made considerable progress but is not yet secure enough to live autonomously, a court may decide that this aid be continued. It’s possible the payor will have to ask the court for a revision of the divorce decree, claiming that their ex’s remarriage has given them sufficient financial stability to eliminate the need for spousal support from the previous marriage.

Should You Call a Tampa Family Law Attorney? 


Don’t wait to reach out to an experienced Tampa divorce lawyer to get help with an alimony issue. Call Buchholz Family Law today at (813) 902-9100.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.